Is Mold A Health Hazard For Me Or My Family?

Fortunately, most people are not overly sensitive to the mycotoxins produced by some active mold colonies.  While the “smell” of mold growing is not pleasant for anyone, most people do not require medical treatment as a result of mold exposure.  There are, however, a significant number of exceptions.

According to the World Health Organization study from 2009,  “Exposure to microbial contaminants is clinically associated with respiratory , symptoms, allergies, asthma and immunological reactions.”  In addition the report states,  “The most important means for avoiding adverse health effects is the prevention (or minimization) of persistent dampness and microbial growth on interior surfaces and in building structures.”

Since all of us have the capacity to develop reactions to mold toxins over time, living with mold in the house means assuming unnecessary health risks for families.  When it comes to basements, “clean them up and dry them out” is an appropriate motto!